A Beginner's Guide to Starting with a TotalSpectrum Red Light Therapy Device
The first questions you're bound to have after you've bought your TotalSpectrum red light therapy device are:
- How often can I use my device per week?
- How many minutes per day should I do therapy?
- At what distance should I treat my targeted body part?
- Can I do it twice a day or multiple times a day?
- What time of the day is best?
- If there's a recommended time, is that for all body parts together or do I need to treat each body part for the recommended time?
- What should I wear?
- Which performance mode is best for my condition?
In this article, we'll cover all these questions and more, specifically for our patented RLT Home TotalSpectrum series of red light therapy panels.
What is Dosage in Red Light Therapy?
The concept of dosage in red light therapy (RLT) involves determining the right amount of light energy to deliver to the skin or body for therapeutic benefits. The dosage is calculated based on two main factors:
- Irradiance: Measured in milliwatts per square centimeter (mW/cm²), irradiance refers to the intensity of the light emitted by the RLT device. It indicates how much light energy is being delivered to a specific area in a given time.
- Time Duration: This is the length of the therapy session, measured in seconds or minutes. The duration determines how long the skin or body is exposed to the red light.
These two factors combine to define the energy dose delivered during a session, typically measured in joules per square centimeter (J/cm²). The formula to calculate energy dose is:
Importance of Proper Dosage:
- Inadequate Energy: If the energy dose is too low (due to low irradiance or short exposure time), the treatment may not be effective. The therapeutic light might not penetrate deeply enough or may not be sufficient to trigger the desired cellular responses.
- Excessive Energy: Conversely, if the energy dose is too high, it can lead to diminishing returns. Excessive exposure can potentially lead to the development of a short-term tolerance to the therapy. In some cases, it might even be counterproductive, as overly intense or prolonged exposure can stress the tissues.
Your Dosage Depends on 4 Things
- Power Density/Irradiance of the device: The irradiance, measured in milliwatts per square centimeter (mW/cm²), is a critical factor. It determines the intensity of the light emitted by the device.
- Distance from the Red Light Therapy Device: The distance between your skin and the device significantly influences the dosage. As you move further away from the light source, the irradiance decreases, reducing the energy dose received by your skin. The closer you are, the more intense the exposure.
- Condition Being Treated: The specific condition you're addressing with red light therapy will dictate the appropriate dosage. Superficial skin issues may require less energy compared to deep tissue concerns. The depth of penetration needed and the nature of the condition (e.g., skin rejuvenation vs. muscle recovery) influence the treatment parameters.
- Skin's Sensitivity and Light Absorption Capacity: Individual skin sensitivity and its ability to absorb light are important considerations. Factors like skin tone, thickness, and the presence of any conditions that affect light absorption can influence the effectiveness of RLT. People with sensitive skin or specific conditions might need to adjust the dosage to avoid discomfort or adverse effects.
It's important to note that beyond these 4 points, the optimal red light therapy dosage can vary widely among individuals. But don't worry, our pre-built performance modes are a great place to start. We'll discuss them a little later in the article.
Welcome to the World of RLT Home's TotalSpectrum Healing
If you've purchased a TotalSpectrum device, let us assure you that you now own one of the most powerful, potent, and well-researched devices available. Developed after reviewing over 1,500 human studies, our devices have already delivered unbelievable benefits to our customers.
These range from relieving 20-year-old shoulder pain to complete healing of calcium deposits in tear glands; from rejuvenating saggy skin to achieving plump, glowing skin; from tackling unmanageable knee pain to climbing stairs effortlessly; from curbing uncontrolled weight gain to enabling weight reduction.
The testimonials are as astounding as they are increasing. As a company established in 2023, we are dedicated to supporting you every step of the way in your healing journey. You've made a great choice, and now, here's how to use your device most effectively:
Get Started with One of Our Patented Performance Modes
For TotalSpectrum Mini, Compact and Max
Our TotalSpectrum devices, including the Mini, Compact, and Max models, are equipped with specialized performance modes to cater to a wide range of health and wellness needs. These include:
- Purpose: Enhance physical performance and endurance.
- Mechanism: RLT may help increase ATP (adenosine triphosphate) production in cells, which can lead to improved muscle performance. Additionally, it may aid in oxygen delivery and reduce oxidative stress in muscle tissues.
2. Fat burning:
- Purpose: Assist in weight loss efforts and support fat metabolism.
- Mechanism: Some studies suggest that RLT can influence adipocytes (fat cells) to release stored fat. It might also increase metabolic rate by enhancing mitochondrial function.
3. Muscle Recovery:
- Purpose: Reduce muscle soreness post-exercise and speed up recovery.
- Mechanism: RLT may reduce inflammation and oxidative stress in muscle tissues, leading to faster recovery times after physical exertion.
- Purpose: Reduce systemic and localized inflammation.
- Mechanism: RLT and NIR light can reduce the production of inflammatory cytokines and increase the production of anti-inflammatory cytokines. This can help alleviate pain and swelling.
5. Skin Care:
- Purpose: Improve skin health, reduce signs of aging, and treat various skin conditions.
- Mechanism: RLT can stimulate collagen production, reduce inflammation, and improve blood flow. It's used for wrinkles, acne, scars, and other skin conditions.
6. Sleep Optimization:
- Purpose: Improve sleep quality and regulate circadian rhythms.
- Mechanism: Exposure to certain light wavelengths can influence melatonin production, a key hormone involved in sleep regulation. RLT might also help reduce anxiety and stress, leading to better sleep.
7. Elderly Health:
- Purpose: Address general health concerns commonly found in elderly populations.
- Mechanism: As individuals age, they face various health challenges like reduced muscle mass, increased inflammation, poor sleep, and skin aging. This mode combines elements of the other modes to offer a comprehensive treatment tailored to the elderly.
Our Ultra model is a Spa grade panel with the following modes:
Six Modes for Ultimate Versatility (Choose from 6 meticulously curated modes):
- Acne: Reduce acne by promoting healing, reducing inflammation, and targeting the bacteria that contribute to acne development.
- Fat Burning: Reduction of fat and cellulite by penetrating skin and targeting fat cells, encouraging lipolysis and boosting metabolism.
- Hair care: Targets scalp health and hair growth by stimulating follicles, improving blood circulation, and nourishing roots. Helps reduce hair loss and strengthen hair, promoting thicker, healthier growth.
- Skin Repair: Stimulating collagen production and increasing blood flow,& this mode contributes to healthier, more radiant skin, and helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Relaxation: The soothing effects of our relaxation mode can reduce stress and promote a sense of calm, aiding in relaxation and mental well-being.
- Sleep Optimization: This mode helps to regulate circadian rhythms and melatonin production, promoting better sleep quality and helping to alleviate insomnia.
All 4 TotalSpectrum are built with the same tech. If you have either and are interested in learning more about a missing performance mode, write to us and we'll help you set it up on your device.
Optimizing Your Therapy
To derive maximum benefit from these modes, it’s important to use your TotalSpectrum device at the right distance:
- For Skin-Related Benefits: Position yourself about 18 inches from the device. This distance is optimal for treating superficial skin layers, enhancing collagen production, and improving overall skin texture and tone.
- For Deeper Tissue Healing: If your focus is on deeper tissue healing, such as muscle recovery or reducing deep-seated inflammation, sit closer to the device, between 6 to 12 inches. This proximity allows for deeper penetration of the light, effectively reaching muscles, joints, and deeper layers of the skin.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often can I use my device per week?
We recommend using your TotalSpectrum device five days a week. This frequency has been found to be optimal for most users. Allowing for a two-day break, ideally spaced out across the week — such as on Tuesday and Saturday — gives your body time to respond to the therapy. This break not only aids in healing but also helps prevent the development of tolerance to the therapy, ensuring your body continues to respond effectively over time.
How many minutes per day should I do therapy?
For each performance mode on your TotalSpectrum device, the ideal therapy times are pre-set, reflecting our research and successful human trials. These modes are tailored with specific wavelength irradiances and pulsing settings for optimal effectiveness.
As a general rule, aim to keep your daily therapy sessions to 30 minutes or less. This guideline is rooted in research: shorter, consistent sessions have shown the most success. Remember, in red light therapy, regularity is more important than longer session times. Consistency is the key to achieving the best results.
At what distance should I treat my targeted body part?
When beginning your journey with red light therapy, it’s advisable to start with conservative distances and reduce the distance from the device as needed based on your body's response and the results you observe. Here are the recommended starting distances for various conditions, with the suggestion to gradually reduce them if you're not seeing the desired results:
Skin Health (Acne, Wrinkles, Scars, Anti-aging):
- Distance: Start at 12 to 24 inches. This initial distance provides a gentle yet effective approach to skin therapy.
- Mode: Use the 'Skin Care' or 'Skin Repair' modes for targeted benefits.
Muscle Recovery and Deep Tissue Healing:
- Distance: Begin with 12 to 24 inches, allowing your muscles to gradually adapt to the light's penetration.
- Mode: The 'Muscle Recovery' mode is specifically designed for these needs.
Joint Pain and Inflammation:
- Distance: Start at 12 to 24 inches, especially if the area is sensitive.
- Mode: Opt for the 'Inflammation' mode for targeted relief.
Hair Growth and Scalp Health:
- Distance: Initiate at 12 inches, balancing direct exposure with comfort.
- Mode: 'Hair Care' mode is ideal for these concerns.
Fat Burning and Weight Management:
- Distance: Begin at 24 to 36 inches for broader area coverage.
- Mode: The 'Fat Burn' mode will be most beneficial.
Improved Sleep Quality:
- Distance: Start at 24 to 36 inches to promote relaxation.
- Mode: Use the 'Sleep Optimization' or 'Sleep' mode for best results.
Mental Clarity and Mood Improvement:
- Distance: Initiate at 24 to 36 inches for a calming effect.
- Mode: The 'Relax' mode is recommended.
Sensitive Skin Conditions:
- Distance: Start at 24 to 36 inches for a gentle approach.
- Mode: 'Skin Care' or 'Skin Repair' modes can be effective, depending on specific skin issues.
- Distance: Begin with 24 to 36 inches for overall well-being.
- Mode: The 'Elderly Health' mode combines elements suitable for general health concerns in the elderly.
Arthritis (Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis):
- Distance: Start at 12 to 24 inches for joint areas.
- Mode: 'Inflammation' mode to alleviate joint pain and reduce inflammation.
Chronic Back Pain:
- Distance: 12 to 24 inches, focusing on the painful areas.
- Mode: 'Muscle Recovery' or 'Inflammation' mode, depending on the underlying cause.
Migraine and Tension Headaches:
- Distance: Begin at 12 to 24 inches, targeting the forehead and temples.
- Mode: 'Relax' mode for tension relief and to promote relaxation.
Plantar Fasciitis and Foot Pain:
- Distance: Start with the feet 12 to 24 inches from the device.
- Mode: 'Inflammation' or 'Muscle Recovery' mode, targeting foot discomfort.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome:
- Distance: 12 to 24 inches, focusing on the wrists and hands.
- Mode: 'Inflammation' mode to help reduce swelling and alleviate pain.
- Distance: Begin at 12 to 24 inches, targeting the surgical area.
- Mode: 'Muscle Recovery' to enhance healing and reduce inflammation.
Sports Injuries (Sprains, Strains):
- Distance: 12 to 24 inches, directly on the injured area.
- Mode: 'Muscle Recovery' mode for accelerated healing and pain relief.
- Distance: Start at 12 to 24 inches, focusing on affected areas.
- Mode: 'Inflammation' mode to improve circulation and reduce nerve pain.
Psoriasis and Eczema:
- Distance: Begin with 12 to 24 inches from affected skin areas.
- Mode: 'Skin Care' mode to help soothe and improve skin conditions.
Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD):
- Distance: 24 to 36 inches, ideally in a comfortable setting.
- Mode: 'Relax' mode to help alleviate symptoms and improve mood.
- Distance: 6 to 12 inches, targeting the neck area where the thyroid gland is located.
- Mode: 'Relax' or 'Elderly Health' mode to support thyroid function and overall wellness.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:
- Distance: 18 to 24 inches for full-body exposure.
- Mode: 'Fitness' or 'Sleep Optimization' mode to boost energy levels and improve sleep quality.
Menstrual Cramps and PMS:
- Distance: 12 to 24 inches, focusing on the lower abdomen.
- Mode: 'Inflammation' mode to alleviate pain and reduce inflammation.
- Distance: 12 to 24 inches for full-body or targeted areas.
- Mode: 'Muscle Recovery' or 'Inflammation' mode to manage pain and improve mobility.
Depression and Anxiety:
- Distance: 18 to 36 inches for a calming effect.
- Mode: 'Relax' mode to help alleviate symptoms and improve mood.
- Distance: 12 to 24 inches, targeting affected extremities.
- Mode: 'Inflammation' mode to improve circulation and reduce nerve pain.
- Distance: 12 to 24 inches, focusing on the abdomen and pelvic area.
- Mode: 'Muscle Recovery' or 'Skin Care' mode to aid in healing and toning.
Acid Reflux and GERD:
- Distance: 12 to 24 inches, targeting the upper abdomen and lower chest area.
- Mode: 'Relax' mode to promote relaxation and potentially ease symptoms.
- Distance: 18 to 36 inches as part of a pre-sleep routine.
- Mode: 'Sleep Optimization' mode to enhance sleep quality.
Age-Related Macular Degeneration:
- Distance: 12 to 24 inches, with caution to avoid direct eye exposure.
- Mode: 'Elderly Health' mode to support overall eye health and wellness.
Remember, the key to successful red light therapy is customization based on your personal experience. Adjust the distance and select the performance mode that best aligns with your health goals, and modify as needed to find your ideal therapeutic balance.
Can I do it twice a day or multiple times a day?
Yes, it is acceptable to perform more than one of the performance modes a day. While using multiple modes in a day is safe, alternating between different modes on different days can optimize results, as varied stimulation can be more beneficial for the body.
What time of the day is best?
- For Energy and Alertness: Morning sessions can be very effective. Using red light therapy in the morning may help kickstart your day, enhance alertness, and regulate your circadian rhythm.
- For Relaxation and Sleep Improvement: Evening sessions are ideal. Red light therapy in the evening can help your body wind down, relax, and prepare for sleep, especially if you're using modes aimed at sleep optimization.
- For Workout Recovery: Post-exercise, regardless of the time of day. If you're using red light therapy for muscle recovery, it's best to do it after your workout sessions.
- For General Health and Wellness: Anytime that fits into your schedule. If your goal is overall well-being, the best time is simply when you can consistently incorporate it into your daily routine.
If there's a recommended time, is that for all body parts together or do I need to treat each body part for the recommended time?
When using your TotalSpectrum device, if you're treating multiple body areas, it's important to divide your total therapy time evenly between those areas. For example, when treating both the front and back of your body, split the total recommended session time evenly between the two to ensure balanced exposure. This method prevents overexposure to the light therapy, which is crucial for efficacy.
Similarly, if you're focusing on multiple specific areas (like the shoulders, knees, and back), allocate a portion of the total recommended time to each area. This approach ensures that every targeted part receives adequate treatment within the overall duration of your therapy session.
Remember, the goal is to distribute the therapy effectively while adhering to the recommended total duration for optimal results.
What should I wear?
In short, where possible, wear nothing except the protective glasses provided with your TotalSpectrum device. The key to effective red light therapy is ensuring that the light can penetrate the skin in the area you're treating, so direct exposure is crucial for optimal results.
This is not possible in some circumstances, in which case, wear the minimum appropriate clothing. Light-permeable fabrics may be a good choice in some circumstances.
Which performance mode is best for my condition?
To determine the best performance mode for your condition using your TotalSpectrum device, we recommend reviewing the section titled 'At what distance should I treat my targeted body part?'. There, you will find a list of common conditions along with their corresponding recommended treatment distances and performance modes.
Select a performance mode that closely aligns with your specific condition or one that is similar to it.
These modes are designed to target specific issues effectively, based on the unique wavelength irradiances and pulsing settings suited for each condition. Begin with the mode that best matches your needs and adjust as necessary based on your personal experience and results.
Advanced User Settings and Hacks
Each TotalSpectrum device offers the flexibility to create custom modes, allowing you to tailor your therapy to your specific needs. In these custom settings, you can adjust the intensity of the 'Red' and 'Near Infrared' (NIR) light irradiance from 0 to 100. Additionally, you can customize the pulsing settings. The red wavelengths are grouped together, enabling you to set individual intensities for a single red wavelength, and the same applies to the NIR wavelengths. Once you configure these custom settings in the setup mode, the device will remember your preferences for future sessions.
Effective User Strategy for Enhanced Results
One effective strategy that has proven successful for many of our customers is alternating between two performance modes. This approach can optimize the therapeutic benefits by combining different aspects of red light therapy. Here’s an example of how a customer successfully used this method to heal 20-year-old shoulder pain:
- Frequency of Therapy: The customer engaged in therapy 5 days a week, taking 2 days off with gaps in between, such as on Tuesday and Saturday. This schedule allowed for consistent treatment while giving the body time to respond and recover.
- Alternating Performance Modes: The customer alternated between 'Inflammation Mode' and 'Muscle Recovery Mode' on different days. This strategy provided a balanced mix of deep tissue healing and ATP (adenosine triphosphate) enhancement, targeting both inflammation and muscle recovery.
- Session Structure: Each session lasted 20 minutes, with the customer positioned 6-12 inches away from the panel. The 20-minute session was divided into 10 minutes dedicated exclusively to the shoulder, followed by 5 minutes for the frontal body and 5 minutes for the back. This division ensured focused treatment on the problem area while also addressing overall body wellness.
By adopting such targeted and structured approaches, users can maximize the therapeutic potential of their TotalSpectrum device and achieve significant improvements in their conditions.
I have a Question, Who Should I Ask?
We are here to help. Post your question down below in the comments or write to us by going to our contact page.
Maximize Your TotalSpectrum Red Light Therapy Experience:
- Frequency: Use the device 5 days a week, with breaks ideally on days like Tuesday and Saturday.
- Session Duration: Engage in 15-20 minute sessions, customizing the time based on the areas treated.
- Treatment Distance: Start with a conservative distance (e.g., 12 to 24 inches) and adjust based on your condition and response.
- Clothing: Wear minimal clothing for direct skin exposure or light-permeable fabrics for gentle treatment.
- Performance Modes: Choose modes like 'Inflammation' or 'Muscle Recovery' based on your specific needs, and consider alternating modes for comprehensive benefits.
- Advanced Settings: Utilize custom mode settings to tailor the intensity and pulsing of red and NIR lights.
Utilizing the TotalSpectrum device could play a significant role in your pursuit of health and wellness objectives. It's recognized for its capacity to contribute to improved well-being. Wishing you a beneficial journey as you explore the potential of red light therapy.